As we transition towards a Net Zero electricity system, 83-88GW network connected wind, together with 27GW interconnectors are required, which can only be achieved efficiently through co-ordination across multiple connections.
Our work for the Electricity System Operator (as part of a consortium with DNV) illustrates the opportunity to:
- Reduce impacts to coastal communities by reducing assets by >50%; and
- Reduce costs by c£6bn across the period to 2050.
To co-ordinate, multiple projects share higher capacity infrastructure.
Coordinated solutions will be:
- Build in stages, by different vendors;
- Subject to over-arching control schemes;
- Capable of providing the onshore system with services and network stability; and
- Provide capacity and secure connection to each wind farm.
To access the full final report for this project please click here